Analytics

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Widgets

But first, let me take a #Shelfie

I am an English teacher. I encourage my students to read for fun, give students books as presents, and love when I find a student sneaking a book home from my class library.



I believe that a love of reading is one of the best things any child can get from school.

It doesn't need to be the classics, reading Ender's Game is just as valid as reading Pride and Prejudice. In addition to being a fun way to spend your time and learn, reading gives kids tons of advantages that will help them after they have finished their education in school.

Reading gives people:
  • higher vocabulary
  • more empathy
  • improved grammar
  • lower stress
  • less likely to get Alzheimers
  • improved analytical skills
  • better writing
  • and SO MUCH MORE 
Words Alive is an organization that has been around since 1999 when Leslye Lyons started it on the belief that lifelong learners (the kind who transform their communities) all start as readers.

They create reading groups for adolescents, help families who don't normally introduce books to their children and so much more.

Now Words Alive is active in 70 School and Community Site. They have 500 volunteers, and have served  7,600 children, teens, and families!

Don't take my word for it! You can learn more about this organization here: www.wordsalive.org. If you are a San Diego reader, you may even want to call them with questions or to get involved:  858-274-9673.

Words Alive is asking people to show how important reading is to them. They're requesting that people take a #shelfie to share their love of reading.

It's easy to do, just follow these steps:

Step 1: Take a #SHELFIE
Take a selfie in front of your bookshelf. We want to see you, what you’re reading and how books have a place in your life.

Step 2: Share your photo (You can tag me too, and I'll RT or share your photo as well!)
On Twitter @WordsAliveSD / @mELTingTeacher
On Facebook @Words Alive / @TheMeltingTeacher
On Instagram @WordsAliveSD / @meltingteacher
Use the following hashtag: #shelfie

Step 3: Invite your friends (and students) to join the movement and take a shelfie.

Finally, if you can, Help Words Alive build the home libraries of the kids and teens we serve. Follow this link for their Amazon wish list of titles.

I can't wait to see everyone's awesome shelfies :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting. Due to spam, your comment may not show up right away, but as soon as I get a chance to approve it I will. I promise to be as fast as possible!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...